Teléfono  (508) 885-8700
Teléfono 2  (508) 885-8701
Email Comunidad email@example.com
Sitio web www.spencerabbey.org
Superiore/a Dom Vincent Rogers, Abbot 2020-2026
Estatuto Jurídico Abbey
Diócesis Dioecesis Vigorniensis (Worcester)
Región OCSO USA
Founded by Fr. Vincent de Paul of La Valsainte in 1825 at Petit-Clairvaux, Canada with monks from Bellefontaine and Sint Sixtus; affiliated with La Trappe in 1868; raised to the rank of abbey in 1876; transferred to Rhode Island, USA in 1901 with rank of priory; raised to rank of abbey in 1945. Transferred to Spencer in 1950.
1825: Initial foundation by Fr. Vincent de Paul. It was located in Nova Scotia, Canada. Fr. Vincent de Paul had stayed in North America when Fr. Urban’s group, who had repopulated Bellefontaine, returned. Fr. Vincent de Paul therefore asked Bellefontaine for help beginning his foundation. Bellefontaine sent him four monks.
Returning later to seek reinforcements, he found none in France and returned to Canada with monks from Sint Sixtus. Soon discord arose: the French monks returned to Bellefontaine, Fr. Vincent de Paul retired to a house of religious sisters he had founded, leaving the Sint Sixtus monks alone.
1868: Because of their great isolation, they ask to be affiliated with La Trappe.
1892: Fires during the Chapter of Union.
1899: The Chapter authorizes the community’s transfer to Bost.
1902: The community transfers to the diocese of Providence. The former property in Nova Scotia, having been purchased by Timadeuc to found a refuge, keeps the name Petit-Clairvaux. The new house in Providence is named O.L. of the Valley. But the validity of the canonical erection comes into question. An indult of sanation is requested and granted and the new monastery of O.L. of the Valley is raised to the rank of priory.
1922: Construction of the church.
1950: Monastery is destroyed by fire. The community takes refuge at Chepachet.
Guadalupe (1948), Berryville (1950); Snowmass (1956), Azul (1958), Los Andes (1960)
Guadalupe, Berryville, Snowmass, Azul, Los Andes (1960 -1966), Wrentham
Cistercian Lay Contemplatives, Spencer, MA
26a. PETIT CLAIRVAUX: March 1825 to July 1900
Vincent de Paul MERLE Superior ?/03/1825 – 01/01/1853
François Xavier KAISER Superior 01/01/1853 – ?/ ?/1857
Jacques DEPORTEMONT Superior ?/ ?/1857 – 03/05/1876
Dominique SCHIETECATTE Abbot 03/05/1876 – 23/04/1898
John-Mary MURPHY Sup. ad nutum 29/06/1898 – 03/05/1907
26b. O.L. OF THE VALLEY: 02/08/1900 à 1950
John-Mary MURPHY Titular Prior 03/05/1907 – 06/07/1913
Jean O’CONNOR Sup. ad nutum 06/07/1913 – ?/ ?/19??
Jean O’CONNOR Titular Prior ?/ ?/19?? – 25/11/1943
Edmond FUTTERER Sup. ad nutum 25/11/1943 – 01/08/1945
Edmond FUTTERER Abbot 01/08/1945 – 01/08/1961
26c. SPENCER since late 1950
Thomas Aquinas KEATING Abbot 29/08/1961 – 10/09/1981 (v.72)
Paschal SKUTECKY Abbot 30/09/1981 – 22/06/1983
Augustine ROBERTS Apotolic Administrator 21/06/1983 – 16/06/1984 (v.76)
Augustine ROBERTS Abbot 16/06/1984 – 17/06/1996
Damian CARR Abbot 17/06/1996 – 22/07/2020
Trabajo y Fuentes de Ingresos
“Trappist Preserves” (jams and jellies), “Holy Rood Guild” (Liturgical Vestments)
Guesthouse with 11 rooms; another building “the cottage” with 5 rooms (4 with 2 beds) for candidates and postulants; the 5th room is for special visitors.
Airport : Worcester, Massachusetts.