1070: Ancient monastery founded in 1070, distinguished by the generosity of the Countess Mathilde, populated in 1132 by Cistercians from Trois Fontaine.
1674: Having had the renowned Bernard de Montgaillard as abbot, the community adopts the reforms of de Rancé.
1793: Destroyed by French Revolutionaries.
1926: The ruined monastery is offered to the Order in the person of Fr. Albert Van der Cruyssen, monk of La Trappe. Since La Trappe was unable to assure the restoration of monastic life there, Dom Chautard decided to transfer the refuge of Maristella there.
1927, 11 March: the first monks from Sept-Fons move into temporary dwellings while the ruins are being arranged and the new monastery built.
1929, 19 August: The cornerstone of the new church is laid.
1935: the General Chapter authorizes its erection as an abbey, which is granted by the Holy See on 13 December 1935.
1936, 29 February: election of the 53rd abbot of Orval, the first since the community’s restoration.
1939, 5 June: Blessing of the church, which is raised to the rank of minor basilica.
1948: Its construction finally completed in 1947, the church, raised to the rank of basilica, is consecrated by His Emm. Cardinal Micara.