The abbey of St. Marie-du-Mont, founded by O.L. of Gard, near Amiens, had the abbot of Sept-Fons as Father Immediate because that is where Gard was transferred with its abbot: to the former site of the abbey of O.L. of Saint-Lieu Sept-Fons. It seems that Mont-des-Cats was never canonically raised to the status of priory as it is done today. Nevertheless, its first superiors all had the title “prior” (1826-1847), only one of whom was regularly elected. All the others were named by the abbot of Gard (father immediate) and given the authority he deemed appropriate.
The name, originally Our Lady of Mont des Cattes (Montis Cattorum), was changed to St. Marie du Mont in the same decree (Art. 3) by which his Eminence Cardinal Giraud, archbishop of Cambrai, acting under the authority granted to him by Pius IX, raised the monstery to the rank of abbey (29 December 1847).
1898, 20 June: Consecration of the church. It was later destroyed during an aerial bombardment in 1940. It was repaired and consecrated 30 August 1950.
1901: Refuge at Watou (Belgium) from 1 May 1901 to October 1934.
1902: Refuge at Feluy (Belgium), 24 November 1901 to late September 1912.
Note. At both of these refuges there were never more than a few monks of Mont-des-Cats in residence. The abbey of Mont-des-Cats was continuously occupied by at least a few of its monks with the abbot at their head.
1905: Dom Sebastien Vandermarliere, fifth abbot of Mont-des-Cats, was named father immediate of O.L. of la Fille-Dieu (Switzerland), simply taking charge of an existing monastery.
1958, January: Dom Achille goes to Madagascar with two monks, Fr. Firmin and Fr. Guillaume, with a view to preparing a foundation in the diocese of Fianaranstoa. The Definitory gives its permission in May, 1958. More monks leave for Madagascar in October 1958 and January 1959.