Tilburg

Location

Official Name Abdij O.L.Vrouw van Koningshoeven

30

Country Netherlands

City Tilburg

Address Eindhovenseweg 3

Postcode NL-5056

Contact Information

Telephone [31] (13) 540 85 08

Community Email info@koningshoeven.nl

Website www.koningshoeven.nl

Superior Dom Bernardus Peeters, Abt 2005

Other Informations

Juridical Status Abbey

Diocese Dioecesis Buscoducensis ('s-Hertogenbosch)

OCSO Region NED

Founded/Restored 1881

Origins

Founded by Mont-des-Cats, 1881; raised to the rank of priory 1883 and to the rank of abbey 1891.

History

1881: The monastery of Mont-des-Cats undertook the foundation of O.L. of Koningshoeven;  the foundation was officially made in March 1881 by Dom Dominique Lacaes, abbot of Mont-des-Cats who, ably assisted by Fr. Sebastien Wyart, originally intended to create a refuge for his monastery.  The General Chapter (Congregationis antiquioris reformationis de Septem Fontibus) assembled in 1881in Paris, approved it as such.

1883: The General Chapter gave its official approval to the monastery with the rank of priory.

1894: Consecration of the church: On the occasion of the General Chapter of 12 September, held at Tilburg, Mgr. Wilhelmus van de Ven, bishop of Bois-le-Duc, consecrated the church on 17 September, in the presence of most of the capitulants.

1953: 4 monks leave for Java, where a priest was already assessing the possibility of a foundation.

 

Refuges:

1902: Not for its own needs but for French monks threatened with expulsion, Koningshoeven founded refuges 1902-1903.

Charneux in Belgium (Feb.-March,1902).

For the Trappistines of Laval, of Ubexy and of La Cour-Pétral, at Blitterswick, at Berkel and at Boxtel respectively.

1909: Charneux remained as a foundation of  Tilburg, but was not reinhabited after 1909, Koningshoeven being in grave difficulty.

1919: The nuns of Laval return to France

1920: The others return.

Foundations

Zundert (1900), Charneux, Belgium (refuge, 1902-1909); Rawaseneng (1953); Victoria (1956)

Father Immediate

Mont-des-Cats/Gedelegeerde van de P. Immediatus : Calvaire

Daughter Houses

Zundert (1900), Charneux, Belgium (refuge, 1902-1909); Rawaseneng (1953); Victoria (1956)

Past Superiors

Sébastien WYART — Supérieur — 08/12/1880 – 15/03/1881
Jérôme PARENT — Supérieur — 15/03/1881 – 05/08/1881 (v.11)
Nivard SCHWEYKART — Supérieur — 05/08/1881 – 07/10/1883
Nivard SCHWEYKART — Prieur — 07/10/1883 – 12/09/1890
Willibrord VERBRUGGEN — Abbé — 25/04/1891 – 15/04/1909
Simon DUBUISSON — Sup.ad nutum — 23/11/1909 – 31/03/1913
Simon DUBUISSON — Abbé — 31/03/1913 – 16/02/1945
Willibrord van DIJK — Abbé — 29/04/1945 – 20/02/1966 (v.67)
Cyprien van den BOGAARD — Sup.ad nutum — 26/05/1966 – 01/03/1969
Cyprien van den BOGAARD — Abbé — 01/03/1969 – 03/10/1989 (v.74)
Korneel VERMEIREN — Sup.ad nutum — 26/01/1990 – 17/07/1990
Korneel VERMEIREN — Abbé — 17/07/1990 – 21/12/2005

Work and Sources of Income

Brewery, monastic gift shop, bakery and chocolate factory.

Guest Facilities

30 rooms

Transportation

Station : Tilburg (Bus 141)

Monasteries

  • Snowmass

    USA

  • Soleilmont

    Belgium

  • Gethsemani

    USA