Tautra Mariakloster was originally founded in 1207 by monks probably coming from Munkeby, on an island in the Trondheim fjord. The community dispersed in 1531 when the monastery was sold. In 1999, at the request of the local Catholic bishop and of the local government, Mississippi Abbey re-founded Tautra as a community of nuns.
1999, February: Mississippi sends seven nuns to Tautra.
2003, 8 May: Queen Sonja of Norway digs the hole for the first stone of the new monastery.
2005, March: Construction of the permanent monastery begins.
2006, 10 July: The nuns are given the keys to the new monastery
2007, 12 May: 800 years after the dedication of the first Cistercian monastery on Tautra, the new church is dedicated with Queen Sonja present.
Work and Sources of Income
Soap and skin creams, guesthouse, cards, photography, shop, rosaries