Sept-Fons

Location

Official Name Abbaye N.-D. de Sept-Fons

08

Country France

City Dompierre-sur-Besbre

Postcode F-03290

Contact Information

Telephone [33] (4) 70 48 14 90

Fax [33] (4) 70 48 14 73

Community Email abbaye@septfons.com

Website www.abbayedeseptfons.com

Superior Dom Patrick Olive, Abbé 1980

Other Informations

Juridical Status Abbey

Diocese Dioecesis Molinensis (Moulins)

OCSO Region REI

Founded/Restored 1816

Origins

Founded in 1132 by Fontenay; restored at Bellevaux ,Géronde, Val Sainte-Marie, Tamié in 1816; restoration of Sept-Fons in 1845 by the transfer of Gard.

History

1132: Foundation

1663: Reform of Dom Eustache.

1762: Valiscaulian Reform.

1791: Dispersal to: Montluçon, les Pontons, Gros-Bois, Bellevaux

(1806: Erection of Darfeld as an abbey.)

1816: Restoration at Bellevaux, Géronde, Val-Sainte-Marie, Grâce-Dieu, Tamié.

1817: Restoration of Gard by French monks of Darfeld, who had sought refuge at Borsut.

1830: The community of Gard unites with the former Sept-Fons, which had been re-established at  Bellevaux.

1845: The community of Gard moves to Sept-Fons.

1847: Separation of the observances. First General Chapter at Sept-Fons.

1856, 15 September: Consecration of the church (during the General Chapter).

1868: Solemn vows.  General Chapter at La Trappe.

1869: General Chapter of the three observances at Sept-Fons: liturgy.

1870: Military hospital at Sept-Fons.

1872: Special procurator in Rome for Sept-Fons and Belgium.

1876: Trial union of Sept-Fons and Belgium; unity of authority and observances.

1878: Attempted union with La Trappe: the attempt failed.

1880: Expulsions. Refuge at Herne.

1883: The abbot of Sept-Fons sends two monks to found  Consolation in China.

1891: Centenary of Saint Bernard. Numerous visits and voluminous correspondence on the subject of union.

1892: Union of the  Congregations: the abbot of Sept-Fons is elected abbot general.

1893: First General Chapter of the O.C.R., held at Sept-Fons: horarium and observances.

1895: General Chapter at  Sept-Fons.

1898: Departure of monks from  Sept-Fons to re-establish Cîteaux.

1940: Occupation of the monastery.

1953: Closure and sale  of the mill.

1954: Restoration of the church.

Foundations

Mérignat (1862 – 1870) ; Chambarand (1868 – 1903); Iles (1876 – 1890); Valverde (Refuge, 1880 – 1882) ; Recica (1881 – 1894) ; Consolation (1883); Latroun (1890); Beagle Bay (1891 – 1900) ; Maristella (1903-1936); Orval, (1927); Iles (1968 – 2001) ; Novy Dvur (2002)

Father Immediate

Cîteaux

Daughter Houses

Mont des Cats until 1973; Tamié; Consolation; Latroun; Orval 1927 -1946; Liesse until 1948; Iles (1968 – 2001); Ubexy; Chambarand; El Encuentro (Madre de Dios) 1972 – 2005; Rosary; Novy Dvur; Meymac

Past Superiors

Stanislas LAPIERRE — Abbot — 01/11/1835 – 01/07/1865
Jean de DURAT — Abbot — 31/07/1865 – 10/12/1881
Jérôme GUENAT — Abbot — 18/01/1882 – 08/10/1887
Sébastien WYART — Abbot — 28/10/1887 – 14/06/1899
Jean-Baptisite CHAUTARD — Abbot — 16/06/1899 – 29/09/1935
Marie GODEFROY — Abbot — 28/12/1935 – 01/11/1949
François Régis JAMMES — Abbot — 04/11/1949 – 20/03/1965
Irénée HENRIOT — Abbot — 15/05/1965 – 02/02/1969

Dominique du LIGONDES  —  Abbot  —  27/02/1969 – 20/12/1979

Work and Sources of Income

Dietary supplements “Germalyne” and derivatives; jams; farm.

Guest Facilities

27 men and 10 women, couples.

Transportation

Gare destinataire : Dompierre-Sept-Fons, 4 km.

Monasteries

  • Frattocchie

    Italy

  • Vina

    USA

  • Diepenveen

    Netherlands