Rochefort

Location

Official Name Abbaye N.-D. de Saint-Rémy

39

Country Belgium

City Rochefort

Postcode B-5580

Contact Information

Telephone [32] (84) 22.01.40

Community Email remyabbaye@scarlet.be

Website www.abbaye-rochefort.be

Superior Dom Gilbert Degros, Abbé 2006

Other Informations

Juridical Status Abbey

Diocese Dioecesis Namurcensis (Namur)

OCSO Region CNE

Founded/Restored 1887

Origins

Founded by Achel in 1887; raised to the rank of priory in 1891 and to the rank of abbey in 1912.

History

1230: Ancient monastery founded in 1230 for a community of nuns. The Harsh climate and poor soil forced them to abandon the site, and they were replaced by monks from Citeaux. Damaged and ruined several times, it was confiscated in 1797 during the French Revolution and sold as national property. It was partially demolished.
1887: Trappist Cistercians from Achel acquired the property and re-established Cistercian life there. The buildings were restored; the church and regular places built.
1902, 22 September: Consescration of the church.
1954: French is adopted as the official language of the community, which until that time had been Dutch.

Father Immediate

Achel

Past Superiors

Anselme JUDONG — Superior — 21/12/1887 – 24/04/1891
Anselme JUDONG — Titular Prior — 24/04/1891 – 04/03/1909 (v.35)
Henri KUYPERS — Titular Prior — 27/10/1909 – 07/10/1912
Henri KUYPERS — Abbot — 07/10/1912 – 21/09/1948
Guido DEVOS — Abbot — 01/11/1969 – 01/11/1977
Félicien JACQUES — Abbot — 07/10/1948 – 15/08/1969
Hubert MORSOMME — Abbot — 01/12/1977 –
Jacques-Emmanuel VOISIN — Abbot — 1997 — 01/03/2006

Work and Sources of Income

Brewery

Guest Facilities

14 rooms

Transportation

Gare destinataire : Jemelle (autobus vers Rochefort).

Monasteries

  • Vina

    USA

  • New Melleray

    USA

  • Cardeña

    Spain