Mont-des-Cats

Adresse

Nom Officiel Abbaye Sainte-Marie-du-Mont

11

Pays France

Ville Godewaersvelde

Code Postal F-59270

Contact

Téléphone [33] (3) 28 43 83 60

Email Communauté communaute.montdescats@wanadoo.fr

Pays fromagerie.montdescats@wanadoo.fr

Pays www.abbaye-montdescats.com

Supérieur(e) Dom Marc-André Di Péa, Abbé 2016

Autres Informations

Statut Juridique Abbey

Diocèse Archidioecesis Insulensis (Lille)

Région OCSO CNE

Fondée/Restaurée 1826

Origine

Founded by N.-D. du Gard in 1826.  Raised to the rank of abbey 1847.

Pays

The abbey of St. Marie-du-Mont, founded by O.L. of Gard, near Amiens, had the abbot of Sept-Fons as Father Immediate because that is where Gard was transferred with its abbot: to the former site of the abbey of O.L. of Saint-Lieu Sept-Fons. It seems that Mont-des-Cats was never canonically raised to the status of priory as it is done today.  Nevertheless, its first superiors all had the title “prior” (1826-1847), only one of whom was regularly elected.  All the others were named by the abbot of Gard (father immediate) and given the authority he deemed appropriate.

The name, originally Our Lady of Mont des Cattes (Montis Cattorum), was changed to St. Marie du Mont in the same decree (Art. 3) by which his Eminence Cardinal Giraud, archbishop of Cambrai, acting under the authority granted to him by Pius IX, raised the monstery to the rank of abbey (29 December 1847).

1898, 20 June: Consecration of the church.  It was later destroyed during an aerial bombardment in 1940.  It was repaired and consecrated 30 August 1950.

1901: Refuge at Watou (Belgium) from 1 May 1901 to October 1934.

1902: Refuge at Feluy (Belgium), 24 November 1901 to late September 1912.

Note.  At both of these refuges there were never more than a few monks of Mont-des-Cats in residence.  The abbey of Mont-des-Cats was continuously occupied by at least a few of its monks with the abbot at their head.

1905: Dom Sebastien Vandermarliere, fifth abbot of Mont-des-Cats, was named father immediate of O.L. of la Fille-Dieu (Switzerland), simply taking charge of an existing monastery.

1958, January: Dom Achille goes to Madagascar with two monks, Fr. Firmin and Fr. Guillaume, with a view to preparing a foundation in the diocese of Fianaranstoa.  The Definitory gives its permission in May, 1958.  More monks leave for Madagascar in October 1958 and January 1959.

Pays

Tilburg (1880); Catacombs/Frattocchie (1884); Watou, Belgium (refuge, 1901-1934); Feluy, Belgium (refuge, 1902-1912); Maromby (1958)

Père Immédiat

Gard/Sept-Fons until 1972: Tamie thereafter

Pays

Tilburg, Frattochie, Maromby, Belval, Fille-Dieu.

Ancien(ne)s Supérieur(e)s

Marie-Joseph MATTON — Prior — 26/01/1826 – ?/01/1827
Bernard DAL — Prior — — ?/01/1827 – 09/11/1827
François-Marie van LANGENDONCK Prior — 09/11/1827 – ?/ ?/1831
Nil van HOEKE — Prior — — ?/ ?/1831 – ?/01/1835
Désiré de REN — Prior — — ?/01/1835 – ?/ ?/1836
Augustin MOREAU — Prior elect — ?/ ?/1836 – ?/02/1838
Athanase ITSWEIRE — Prior — — ?/01/1839 – 30/06/1847
Dominique LACAES — Abbot — 30/06/1847 – 05/01/1883
Sebastien WYART — Abbot — 30/01/1883 – 15/06/1889 —
Jerome PARENT — Abbot — 15/06/1889 – 22/01/1906
Bernard RICHEBE — Abbot — 16/02/1906 – 01/03/1919
Sebastien VANDERMARLIÈRE — Abbot — 23/04/1919 – 07/09/1940
Achille NIVESSE — Sup. ad nutum — 13/09/1940 – 15/05/1945
Achille NIVESSE — Abbot — 15/05/1945 – 03/12/1962
André LOUF — Abbot — 10/01/1963 –
Guillaume JEDRZEJCZAK — Abbot — 18/12/1997 – 20/08/2009
Dom Jacques Delesalle— Abbot — 2010 – 2016

Travail et Sources de Revenus

Cheese factory

Capacité d'Accueil

30 rooms (9 double)

Pays

Gare destinataire : Hazebrouck, 16 km. Cars SNCF pour Godewaersvelde

Monastères

  • Tilburg

    Netherlands

  • Tarrawarra

    Australia

  • Nunraw

    United Kingdom