Latroun

Location

Official Name Abbaye de Latroun

40

Country Israel

City Ramleh

Address B.P. 753

Postcode 7210701

Contact Information

Telephone [972] (8) 925.51.80

Telephone 2 [972] (8) 922.00.65

Community Email latroun1890@live.fr

Website perso.wanadoo.fr/augustin.tavardon/

Superior Dom René Hascoët, Abbé 2011

Other Informations

Juridical Status Abbey

Diocese Patriarchatus Hierosolymitanus (Patriarcat de Jérusalem)

OCSO Region REI

Founded/Restored 1890

Origins

Founded by Sept Fons, 1890; priory, 1898; abbey, 1937.

History

1890: The first monks arrive from Sept-Fons in November and December. By Christmas the community begins to follow the Holy Rule.
1891: The former monastery, as well as its out-buildings, workshops and chapel, are built between 1891 and 1897.
1914: Occupied by the Turks 1914-18. All the furnishings were lost, even doors and windows.
1926: The first stone of the new monastery is laid on the feast of St. Joseph.
1948: Duirng the Israeli-Jordanian war, the monastery suffered materially.
Nov. 21, 1953: The community takes possession of the church and begins to pray the divine office there. With this the construction of the new monastery is complete. Its construction was entirely planned and supervised by Dom Paul Couvreur. Even though he resigned in 1951, he was able to see the completion of his work.
April 22, 1957: Death of Dom Paul Couvreur, Easter Monday. The Gospel reading at Mass was the meeting at Emmaus.
1967: During the Six Day War, Latroun found itself in the thick of the fighting. But, because of the rapidity of the campaign, the monastery was not damaged. Latroun is henceforth located within the state of Israel.

Father Immediate

Sept-Fons

Past Superiors

Cléophas VIALET — Superior — 14/11/1890 – 11/02/1891
Benoît-Joseph BERNIGAUD — Superior — 12/02/1891 – ?/05/1891
Ignace ? — Superior — ?/05/1891 – 04/05/1892
Emile LORNES — Superior — 05/05/1892 – 18/11/1894 (v.28)
Benoît-Joseph BERNIGAUD (2e) — Superior — 19/11/1894 – 18/11/1897
Stanislas ROUX — Superior — 18/11/1897 – 07/05/1908
Stanislas ROUX — Titular Prior — 07/05/1908 – 18/11/1925
Paul COUVREUR — Titular Prior — 19/11/1925 – 17/11/1937
Paul COUVREUR — Abbot — 17/11/1937 – 15/01/1952
Elie CORBISIER — Abbot — 12/02/1952 – 01/02/1976
Yves DE BROUCKER — Sup. ad nutum — 01/02/1976 – 12/01/1978
Yves DE BROUCKER — Abbot — 12/01/1978 – 10/04/1982
Paul SAOUMA — Sup. ad nutum — 10/04/1982 – 13/01/1985
Paul SAOUMA — Abbot — 13/01/1985 – 30/03/2008

Work and Sources of Income

Vineyard; wines and liqueurs.

Guest Facilities

12 rooms (19 beds)

Transportation

Autobus : Jérusalem – Tel Aviv n. 402, 403, 404, 433

Monasteries

  • Nasu

    Japan

  • Armenteira

    Spain

  • Novo Mundo

    Brazil