1898: Citeaux was purchased and repopulated by monks sent from various monasteries of the Order. Dom Chautard, Abbot of Chambarand, was made superior. Regular life began 1 October 1898.
1899: The community was granted the faculty to elect its own abbot by an indult dated 11 January of that year. Dom Sebastian Wyart, already abbot general, was elected abbot of Citeaux. On 4 July a rescript re-established Citeaux as motherhouse of the Order honore et auctoritate princeps and, in fact, the seat of the abbot general. Dom Robert Lescand was designated auxiliary superior Oct. 4.
1914-1918: The monastery serves as a military hospital.
1939-1940: The guest house serves as a military hospital.
1953: More of the former property of Citeaux is purchased.
1962: The general chapter modifies the governance of Citeaux: from now on, the abbot general would be the arch-abbot of Citeaux and the community would elect an abbot who would have full right de regimine, etc.
1963: A decree of 15 January approves the modifications proposed by the general chapter of 1962. On 19 March Dom Jean Chanut is elected abbot general.
1971: Renovation and consecration of the church.
1990: Until the next general chapter, the abbot general, after having consulted the brothers of Citeaux, would designate three abbots from outside the filiation to act together as juridical recourse.
1993: The abbot general will act in everything as father immediate to the community of Citeaux.
Juridical recourse for the community of Citeaux is constituted by the abbots of the four most senior houses of the Order after Citeaux: La Trappe, Westmalle, Melleray and Port-du-Salut.
La Trappe, Westmalle (1898 – 1972), Melleray, Port-du-Salut, Aiguebelle (1898 – 1963), Sept-Fons (1898 -1963, 1965 – ), Oelenberg (1898 -1963), Clarté-Dieu (1955 – 1963).