The monastery is located on an island in Wales; it was renowned in the past, producing many saints.
1900: At the beginning of the 20th century, it was repopulated by a group of Anglicans who wanted to restore monastic life.
1910: this attempt at restoration led to the mass conversion of the community to Catholocism.
1924: because the financial difficulties of the convert Benedictine community, the Holy See asked the Order to become involved – an unfavourable outcome would have been harmful to the Church.
1929: after lengthy negotiations, the Order became the owner of the island; the abbey of Chimay sent a group of monks. The community faced great difficulties: during the war fire broke out and destroyed some of the buildings. There were very few vocations until 1948, when recruitment increased.
1962: John Gran, monk of Caldey who was acting as cellarer to the Generalate, was named auxiliary bishop of Oslo then, in 1964, bishop of Oslo.