Monks; in Germany by Oelenberg; 1920 - 1925
After the war of 1914-1918, the German religious of Oelenberg could not remain in their monastery which had become French, as a consequence of the peace treaty. They acquired the monastery of Banz, an ancient Benedictine abbey, and about 60 of them moved in. In November 30, 1922 the new house was erected as a priory, and Dom Gregory Eisvogel was elected titular prior.
Later on it was recognized that the life was not possible in this house unsuitable for the requirements of Cistercian monastic life, and where it was hard to earn a living; circumstances after the war had made it impossible to make a well-studied choice.
The ancient Cistercian monastery of Engelszell in Austria was bought, and the General Chapter of 1925 authorized the transfer of the community with all its rights and privileges.